How To Learn BETTER And FASTER

Llately I had a lot to learn from my job, and this got me thinking: how can I learn faster? I took a closer look at my own learning habits, and I also did some research on the topic which eventually led to the making of this blog post and video


Forget a few things

So, let me get straight to the point! First we want to forget a few things: 

We want to forget we know already something about the topic

We want to forget we already know something about the topic. I think it is a great way to learn something new when you are starting with a beginner's mindset, because it's important to realize that we do not know everything about a particular topic (even when we already do know something). When you look at something as a beginner, the chance is big that you notice things that you did not notice before.

We want to forget what's going on with anything not related to the topic

Try to set aside everything irrelevant to what you want to learn, because when you are too distracted you only use a small part of your learning potential. This has an impact on the learning pace.

We want to forget limited thinking

I believe our potential is limitless, and we simply don't know what we don't know. As long as we are open to learn, we're good. 


Be an active learner

It's important to be active whenever you are learning! I remember it very well: when I used to be in school I was anything BUT active. I was actually very passive. The times that I was at school, and when they tried to learn me something, I just chilled out - sat there - consumed information. And I think that's precisely why I did not learn that much, because when you are the opposite (very active), like asking questions, being involved, taking notes and stuff - having an active, sharp attitude, then this way you can maximize the chance of you fully understanding what you are learning about.


State of mind

I want to mention that your state of mind has a huge impact on your learning capabilities, because it has all to do with one formula: information + emotion is long-term memory.

You might now ask yourself "Wesley, what the heck are you talking about?". Well, let me explain. 

Information + emotion: if there is an emotion attached to a certain piece of information, it will likely stick! If you read a book years ago that made you cry, chances are today you still know exactly what that book was about, and this works the same with learning new things.

Remember what drives you to learn this particular skill or whatever it may be, and you will remember it all a lot better. The funny part, is that these elements I discussed you can break down in actually one word fast: FAST.

• F: forget (what we already know about the subject)

• A: (being) active.

• S: (our) state of mind

• T: Teach


Teach someone!

A great way to learn something, is to teach someone else what you have learned. Just like I do now through this blog post. So now that I've taught you these ways of learning better and faster, I learn it as well! 


Don't forget to go to my YouTube channel and subscribe if you already haven't!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That 1 Individual That Changed My Way Of Thinking And Training (and from MANY others)

Da Vinci's Daily Routine: What Can We Learn?

Taking it SLOW in a FAST-PACED society