"Am I A Prisoner Of My Identity?" [Part 2]

I am so happy I have evolved, ladies and gentlemen. I know better now! This feels good! It feels so amazing to not be a prisoner if my identity anymore! In this blog post we’ll continue talking about this subject. Welcome, to part number 2! 

If you haven't read the first part yet, I strongly recommend you to do that  first. For now, let me share with you where we left off. Because at the end of the first part, we were talking about the following:

Recap 

The moment you put yourself into a specific category, you slowly become one with it. Once that happens, you’ll be likely to only accept and believe the things that are supporting that category. Categorizing yourself, labelling yourself - to me it’s like building a huge wall. It took a while for me to break it down, actually. It stopped me from seeing the bigger picture. I imagine this as followed: 

The wall

Over time, a kind of mentally-existing wall has been built. Inside that wall, there's a gate. Above the gate, there is a BIG sign, which is a label. It represents whatever you believe in and identify yourself with. You're not willing to let anything go through that gate, which is different from the label you chose to be defined by. The only thing you’re doing, is building that wall as high as possible. So high, that you’ll eventually reach the point that everything outside that wall, isn't visible anymore. It has become a defense system to protect yourself from everything that’s challenging your beliefs. Because your beliefs are within those walls. 

What's happening exactly?

A question that arises when I think about this, is “What is exactly happening when we do this? When we build this wall around us?” And the only thing I can come up with, is that we are dividing ourselves. It sets us apart from each other. Thinking in boxes is causing division. When you think like this, ONE difference can cause you to not willing to even consider getting to know one another. It blinds us, and it causes us to focus more on the differences than on what we might have in common. How do you think judgements and assumptions are born?

"We could perfectly like each other but hey, you are not in the same category as me so it's not going to work." 

Do you understand what I mean? The thing is that, I was EXACTLY like that. I was judging all over the place, and we all know the saying that you cannot judge a book by its cover. That’s why I’m feeling that it’s a good thing to let go of making assumptions and judgements. 

My old self, which was trapped in the illusion of believing who I truly was, could already decide whether to like someone or not based on someone’s label. Also based on the label I placed MYSELF on someone. It doesn't matter how smart, kind, genuine, humble or whatever that person is or could be - it’s not corresponding with my own label, my own category, so I won't even consider the possibility to get to know that particular individual. In my opinion, this is happening way too much in the world! 

There's more to life

There’s so much more to life! By dividing ourselves, we are obstructing ourselves from finding out what's behind that huge wall we’ve built. Based on this way of thinking, I decided to break down my wall. Like I already told you in the first video, the more I advance through life, the more I walk on a path less traveled and the further I get, the more I feel disconnected with attributes that are forming an identity. I am HUMAN. That’s it! 

Now, I also want to mention that there’s nothing wrong with belief, though. Don’t get confused now! It’s all about having the ability to know the difference between believing and knowing. Let’s talk about that in the third and last part about being a prisoner of your identity. This will be released next Monday.

Don't forget subscribe to my YouTube channel - I see you in the next one. Hit that notification bell so you won’t miss anything. Peace out! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That 1 Individual That Changed My Way Of Thinking And Training (and from MANY others)

Da Vinci's Daily Routine: What Can We Learn?

Taking it SLOW in a FAST-PACED society